Search This Blog

Thursday, 29 May 2014

Liverpool Sound City [part 1]

Heyyyy guyzzz!!!!
Sorry I haven't posted for a while but I've been a little preoccupied with exams , I still have my science exams over the next couple of weeks so wish me luck!
At the beginning of May I went to Liverpool Sound City which is a music festival running across three days,with hundreds of amazing artists in a ton of great venues across the city.And I loved every second of it.
In previous years bands such as Noah and the Whale , Swim Deep ,Bastille and The Maccabees have played at this sensational music event: all before hitting the big time.
I'll give you guys a quick run down of my itinerary during the three days:

THURSDAY
It started on the Thursday night; I went with my friend Helaena ,and as you might expect, we were super excited during school and couldn't wait to start our musical journey.(I'm good at coming up with cheesy cliché phrases)
The first band we saw was Wild Cub in the East Village Arts Club.
There was this one guy standing at the back who carried shouting "[play]Wish You Well"  and he wouldn't stop saying it until the band just finally changed the set list to please this one guy.My favourite song that they played was Thunder clatter , it featured an amazing set of drum solos:

Then me and Helaena walked down the road to Factory , where we saw Youth Man play.There wasn't very many people watching them , if there were like ten more people there would have totally been a mosh pit.The lead singer was so fab ,  she pretty much got lost in the music.

And then we finished up at The Shipping Forecast where we saw Jaws.It was a great venue because it was so intimate - we managed to get right at the front so we were practically touching them.

FRIDAY
On the second day Helaena and I were joined by our other good friend , Iris.We spent the majority of the night at the Moon Mueseum.

First off were Beach Skulls, who only had a short time slot but still impressed with their nerdy surfer rock.I was kinda confused because I thought they were from Liverpool but they had weird fake-ish American accents so ...



Followed by Natalie McCool who did a beautiful cover of The Velvet Underground's Femme Fatale:

And then the Sugarmen.
Then we went down to Bold Street Coffee and listened to Yarbo.


Followed by Adam French at The Brink:


Le Couleur's lead singer was a tiny French woman who was running round the audience with a tambourine in Sound Food and Drink.There was such a good atmosphere in there , but we had to leave a little early to make sure that we didn't miss Superfood.


The most anticipated gig of the night was Superfood ,who played the East Village Arts Club , and they did not let us down.We got really close to the front and I loved it so much.I recorded a bunch of songs and took quite a few pictures.






Think I'll put the third day of Sound City in a separate post because I feel like I've been writing this forever.
Kate
xox